David,

Used iRegatta for 16 hours.  Ran a USB cable up the hatch along the cabin
top to keep it charged.  I had the iphone in a RockMount with a baggie over
it.  We sailed through thunderstorms and rain.  The baggie was essential.
 A waterproof pouch has been ordered.

It seems to show the course as true, not magnetic, so there was an 11
degree discrepancy between it and the plotter.  When giving someone a
heading we needed to be clear which heading it was.  I did not have it
receiving wind over wifi, so it did not show shifts.

It was great being able to look forward, not down to see heading speed and
VMG, and made it possible for the crew to alert the helmsman if he was off
course.  It is very different steering a heading without landmarks or at
night, so we all really liked it.  The numbers were large enough to be seen
from the cockpit with the phone about under the vang, but a 7 inch tablet
would be a luxury.

Short answer: I will not race without it or the equivalent!

Joel

--
Joel
301 541 8551