From: Ed Dooley via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:09 PM
To: cnc-list
Subject: Re: Stus-List C&C 24 rudder question

Thanks for the advice guys. I came across a C&C 24 rudder failure problem in
the Wooden Boat forums (see below). According to the guy whose rudder snapped,
it’s 2 mahogany planks wrapped in fiberglass mat. That makes the drilling a
hole idea seem a little unnecessary, unless I do it to see if the mahogany is
rotting, not to expect water to pour out. Maybe later C&Cs used a foam core.
Thanks for the tip on the pinless moisture meters, I have an old lignomat pin
type.
Ed

“In heavy winds last Sunday (7/22) my rudder snapped at the water line -  the
broken off part disappeared as my C&C 24 was blown in circles until I got the
sails down.   A replacement was quoted at $2900.  The construction was
fiberglass mats over two sandwiched mahogany planks.  I am looking for advice
on rebuilding it.  Would marine grade plywood  be stronger?  I thought I would
cut the general shape out of mahogany or plywood sandwiched together and then
over lay it with fiberglass mats.  Any suggestions?”