Just a reminder before we all send Ed off to but a moisture meter and dismount
the rudder to take it home to dry out.

The rudder is a transom hung one on a 24, and probably made like the rudder on
a comparable vintage 25. Which means it is hollow below the waterline and has a
hole at the top and bottom so it can fill with water for neutral buoyancy and
drain when the boat is hauled.

Water intrusion isn't likely to be a problem with this design. Damage to the
rudder is more likely from an owner letting it slam over against the stops when
backing (over the years I've seen probably 6 or 8 transom hung rudders with
cracks or damaged push/pull cable steering gear from this) or from a grounding
that damages the fiberglass skins.

Rick Brass
25 mk1 la Belle Aurora
Owned her for 20 years this month