I  like all the advice you're getting about mastering the smaller boat.
Your 30 isn't much different from the C&C 27 my father taught hundreds to
sail aboard in Victoria. She is a sweetheart of a boat that gives you
really good feedback when you make adjustments to your sails. Once you get
a good handle on sailing her, you'll be able to tell when the main or jib
needs to come in or be eased, just by the feel of the helm. You learn
faster on a smaller boat, too.

There is also the handling factor. It's much, much harder to stop a
42-footer than a 30, and much easier to do really expensive damage with the
bigger boat. you may be familiar with the Cube-Square Law: if you double
the dimensions, you quadruple the area and octuple the mass.

When I go offshore I will always pick a crewmember who has lots of
small-boat experience over one who has only sailed big boats. It scales up
easily, down; not so well. That being said, when you get comfortable with
the 30, by all means jump into a 42. Sure it's lots of extra work and
money, but personally I like working on my boat. I'm sure you will, too.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

--