Consider your slip fees. They go up as the size increases.
Every time I prep the bottom of my boat I'm thankful it's only 27 feet.
Anti-fouling paint is pricy and you'll more than double the amount needed and
4x the time involved. Substantial upgrades on a 30 vs a 42 are easier. Consider
replacing #21 2 speed Barient winches with self trailers for $700 each vs $2000
a piece for the ones for the landfall. Beautiful boat but really make sure you
can afford all aspects before jumping in, otherwise you will despise it and
never achieve that special love affair we all share.
I can't say with any first hand knowledge but I would think riding out a storm
on the 42 would be a lot more comfortable than a 30 but as others have said if
you are learning how to sail, the smaller boat will make you a better sailor. A
well set up 30 can be singlehanded even with a spinnaker but I'm not sure if
anyone does any solo kite flying on a LF 42
Whatever you decide you're sailing and that's what counts.

Brent Driedger
27-5
Stormy Lake Winnipeg

Sent from my iPhone