+1 to Jacks comments.  The difficulty with flushing is that the cold water
inlet and the drain line are shared.  I replumbed my heater with a 3-way
valve so that when I want to flush I shift the valve and now the cold water
goes IN the hot water outlet and OUT the drain at the cold water inlet tap.

Since I was replumimg I also fit a thermal mixing valve so that the hot
water (170°) wouldn't burn anyone.

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B8pEh5lnvP1ydEpoMU1MWmx6Qms/edit

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk