I once troubleshot a home boiler with an integral domestic hot water coil. The water coming out of the taps never got more than warm. Turned out there was a "balance pipe" between the cold water input to the boiler and the domestic hot water output. In the middle of that pipe was a gate valve that LOOKED just fine. No signs of even slight seepage from the stem. Only problem was that after 30 years, the gate was no longer there. It had corroded away, so no matter how tight you thought it was shut, it was always effectively wide open. I replaced it with a ball valve.

Bill Bina