Bob, I looked at lots of different boats before buying my current boat; I would
urge you to compare the Shannon to a 1981-1985 vintage C&C 37, the specs are
very similar; the blue water capability is there (see, Steve Sharkey's
excellent You tube video of the 2012 Annapolis to Bermuda
Race;(he finished first in class in this years race, but the video isn't out
yet); also, check out the blog for Persuasion, Mike Taylor and spouse are
traveling from Quebec down the Atlantic coast; both are excellent examples of
the type of voyaging possible with the 37; Another excellent blog is "Sailing
Saralane"; they adapted a 1970s vintage C&C 40 and are traveling the Caribbean
and points south;

the aesthetics, of course, will be different, (you will be going faster); there
are several available with the same level of electronics and other refinements
on Yachtworld;
Also, there are several really fascinating boat sites on the C&C Photo Album,
one of my favorites is the Enterprise, (a 37+) check it out!

My 2$ worth...oh, by the way, I bought a 1985 37.....

Richard

2950 Breckenridge Lane, Suite Nine
Louisville, Kentucky 40220-1462
502-584-7255