Strikes me that it might be easier to have a machine shop make a thin walled
sleeve of delrin(?) with a flange that replicates the ring we now have. The
sleeve would drop over the top of the post and take up the slack. Am I missing
something?

Presumably to do the West method the rudder has to be dropped - at least far
enough to wax the parts that are contained in the upper and lower tubes. I have
not tried to remove my quadrant - but don't relish the thought and suspect that
the bolts are likely "frozen" in the aluminum

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III

> On Aug 22, 2014, at 8:07, Joel Aronson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> The 35/3 has a fiberglass tube without bearings.  Just top and bottom nylon
> bushings.  If there is play in the tube you can use epoxy to make a
> "bearing".  The West website explains how.  basically, wax the rudder shaft
> and pour epoxy down the rudder tube.
>
> Joel
> 35/3
>
>> On Thursday, August 21, 2014, Dave Godwin via CnC-List
>> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>> Jake,
>>
>> I’m following the discussion about the rudder bearings because it’s on my
>> list of repair items for this coming year. Right now I have the dreaded wear
>> problem in my rudder tube (clunk!) and need to tighten it up. So my question
>> is this: Is your’s stock and tight or did you put a bearing in? My sense is
>> that a bearing will not work with our style rudders but I was interested in
>> the link to the Jefa bearing. A friend of mine here had to redo the rudder
>> bearings in his J40 and the Jefa bearings were the go-to choice.
>>
>> Just curious on yours and other lister’s experiences.
>>
>> Best,
>> Dave Godwin
>> 1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
>> Reedville - Chesapeake Bay
>> Ronin’s Overdue Refit
>>
>>> On Aug 21, 2014, at 9:10 PM, Jake Brodersen via CnC-List
>>> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Joel,
>>>
>>> This is certainly an improvement in removing friction from the steering
>>> system.  It looks like this item may be over ½” in thickness, which might
>>> not work for us.  I am pretty happy with mine when it is clean and
>>> lubricated.  Friction is really seldom an issue for me.
>>>
>>> Jake
>>>
>>> Jake Brodersen
>>> “Midnight Mistress”
>>> C&C 35 Mk-III