I have just had another thought on how to take out the "clunk" at least from
the top of the rudder post - (I have never taken mine apart so would welcome
any feedback as to why this would not work

My top rudder assembly is made up of what appears to be 4 components

1) Aluminum base - with 4 bolts - appears to be bolted through the cockpit sole
(+/- 6" diam. )

2) another aluminum fitting that appears to be bolted with 4 bolts to component
1 above (+/- 4" sq)

3) Delrin ring laying on top of component 2

4) large s/s ring threaded on the inside, knurled on the outside with a number
of set screws. This ring is screwed on to the top of the threaded rudder post
and then held in place with the set screws

If my assumptions based on observation only are correct, could I not get a
piece of say 1/4 in thick delrin or similar in which a hole is cut that matches
the rudder stock exactly and which is the same size as component #2 and with 4
holes drilled to match the holes in component #2 After supporting the rudder in
place, take off the s/a ring and aluminum component #2. Place the square of
delrin over the rudder post, and replace component#2. Replace the bolts, the
delrin ring #3 and s/s ring. The sandwiched delrin layer should then act as a
top bearing.

Long explanation of what maybe a crazy idea!  What am I missing?

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III