OK, if you've followed this thread about Chris' engine controls, hopefully
you'll enjoy this story.

The Admiral and I were returning to Lake Pontchartrain from a week of
cruising in Pensacola.  I'd planned to repower Touche' from the Atomic 4 to
a Universal 25XPB prior to the trip but just couldn't get everything in
line.  I had ordered and/or received most of the parts for the repower.
(Important to remember)

As we left Pensacola, The Admiral suggested we check our fuel level.  Oops,
the fuel gauge had "*died*".  I said "No problem, I've ordered a new fuel
gauge and tank.  It's waiting in Mandeville.  I'll replace it when we get
back".  (Remember this)

We were in the Pas au Herons Channel north of Dauphin Island, Alabama
bucking high teens on the nose and 2-3 foot seas.  The AT4 was giving it
it's all but we were making 2-3 knots over ground.  I had the main up and
sheeted board tight to help the AT4 best we could.  The Admiral and I
started smelling exhaust fumes.  I lifted the cockpit locker lid to find
soot.  Further investigation suggested a crack in the exhaust piping.  OK,
the exhaust system "*died*", not really fatal, just smelly.  I told the
Admiral "No problem, I've ordered a new exhaust system.  It's waiting in
Mandeville.  I'll replace it when we get back".  (Remember this)

When overnighted in Gulfport, MS.  The next morning we departed and sailed
up the Marianne Channel towards Lake Pontchartrain.  At the first bridge
coming into the Rigolets (the outlet for Lake Pontchartrain), I cranked the
engine and tried to put it in gear.  The entire shifter/throttle assembly
failed.  The bolts holding the assembly to the bulkhead had sheared.  The
assembly moved rather than shifting or adjusting the RPMs.  OK, now the
engine controls had "*died*".  I told the Admiral "No problem, I've ordered
engine controls.  They're waiting in Mandeville.  I'll replace it when we
get back".  (Remember this)

At this time, the Admiral slowly turned to me and said "You didn't order a
new girl friend, did you?"

We cracked up.  (Hope you followed the logic.)

Two weeks later, Touche' had a new drive train.  I still have the same
Admiral.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA