<<This was a great Tom Cunlife story from Sail Mag a decade ago, he was kind
enough to email me the text as I had forgotten where I had seen it. The missing
drawing really added a smile to the story, sorry I don’t have that as well.
Little wordy for summer emails, but worth the read!>>

Who’s in Charge – You or the Mainsail? (Sail 2 - June 02.doc)

Tom Cunliffe encourages a positive attitude to sailing a yacht, but recalls
that the sea is always ready to embarrass even the smartest boat-handlers

‘No need to wait for wind and tide,

You’re the masters of the sea!’

So sang Ewan McColl about the first steam driftermen as they joyously consigned
their sailing smacks to history and put out into the gales of 1903 with a
different point of view. The revolution of marine propulsion transformed the
mindset of sailors for ever.

It  isn’t for fun that young deck officers are still sent to sea in square
riggers, and the US Coastguard intend far more than a boost for national
prestige when they commission the bark Eagle year after year. Nothing teaches
the way of a ship on the ocean like a sailing vessel. High up on the yards, the
youngsters take in a turbo-charged hit of self-knowledge and team-work while
gulping down a lively appreciation of their own mortality. Down on the bridge,
the decision-makers are absorbing a feel for the definitive limits beyond which
a wind-driven vessel cannot pass. As this becomes instinctive it not only
improves general ship-handling, it also generates an acceptance of the sea as a
greater power which marks out better sailors, whatever their ultimate branch of
the calling.

In a modest way, the same can be true of yachting, yet many of us are content
not to extend our sailing ability, preferring to settle for the sort of
reasonably snappy performance under power which we all can achieve within a few
years. Some, however, choose to perform as many maneuvers as possible under
canvas simply for their own satisfaction. Most of the time, the different
results of these two approaches are unimportant in terms of ultimate safety.
Occasionally, the ability to understand a boat fully that only comes with
having her stop, start and even go sideways under sail alone, can make a real
difference.

Learning to handle a boat is a multi-faceted process. I was lucky enough to cut
my teeth in an engineless 25ft cruiser as a teenager. I had stored away the
essentials of sailing alongside long before mastering the secret of tight turns
under power, so that at eighteen I truly imagined myself a sailor. It was only
while studying a subject far removed from seafaring at University that I
discovered competitive dinghy racing and found how wrong I was. I also became a
strong swimmer by default. Youth being the stuff of adventure, we only bothered
to launch the boats when the wind was strong enough to make them plane, and my
training sessions ended in wipe-out so often that my room was permanently
festooned with foul-smelling woollies. It took weeks of floundering in the cold
sea before I fathomed the reason for all those capsizes at the windward mark.

The answer was simple. I’d been trying to bear away with my mainsail pinned in,
just as I always had in the friendly cruisers that had let me get away with
such a crime. One day, I noticed that sailors with classier acts than mine
released their mainsheets as they upped the helm. I tried it and the effect was
magical. Instead of going into a hideous, unbalanced gripe that tipped me and
my long-suffering crew into the Sound, the lively little boat came upright and
bore away readily onto a thrilling, stable plane. Next, I spotted my unwitting
mentors heaving in their mainsheets to luff up from a standing start, and the
whole thing suddenly made sense. Instead of going to lectures, I now spent
hours in the boats. First, I steered with the sails when the boat was going too
slowly for the rudder to work. Next, I cracked the knack of balancing sheet and
helm at speed, rather than suffer the results of one fighting the other. The
graduation to sterner stuff came later, but my schooling is so deeply embedded
that even today I can feel an over-sheeted mainsail from my bunk. Anyone else
trained in dinghies would say the same.

Not long ago, I examined an experienced yachtsman for a coastal skipper’s
ticket. He was safe enough on passage and proved a caring captain who only came
unstuck when I asked him to work out of a creek under sail in a stiff breeze.
The waterway was dotted with moorings, not all of which had been laid as
conveniently as the casual caller might have wished. At the last bend before
the sea, a pricey-looking yacht tethered to a large buoy selected exactly the
wrong moment to swing across our path. Any attempt to luff up would have
stranded us in the reeds, so our skipper correctly opted to bear away. As if in
a motorboat, he ignored all the controls but the wheel, which he cranked well
over. The effect was absolute zero, except for a rushing sound of turbulent
water from aft as the rudder stalled. Realizing his predicament, but having no
idea what to do about it, he shoved the wheel hard against the stops. As his
knuckles went white, the boat heeled deeply in a dead sort of way, just like my
old dinghy used to, but instead of capsizing she kept going straight ahead,
crabbing towards a dismal and expensive outcome. Blessing the youthful truancy
that had given me confidence, I was waiting until the last minute to act, when
an enlightened crew member took the initiative and released the mainsheet for
us. The yacht reacted instantly and we surged safely past the insurance claim
and away into open water.

You might think that expecting sailing skills of this caliber in the context of
reliable auxiliary power is out of touch with the realities of modern yachting.
In fact, it reflects the rationale of commercial sail training. The incident
suggested that in any stressful situation, perhaps with a casualty in the water
and a rope round the propeller, our skipper could not have relied on himself to
extract the best the boat had to give. His skills were adequate when things
were going well. It was only when affairs took a sudden nasty turn that he
realized he hadn’t spent enough time honing those basic instincts.

Sadly, after all has been said and done, there will always be odd occasions
when no amount of training can outwit the final arbiter. The sea remains the
most effective leveler on the planet, with a trick or two up her sleeve to be
sure you’re on your toes, no matter how good you are — and it isn’t only small
yachts that suffer. What the connoisseur of foul-ups looks for when disaster
pays a visit, however, is the sort of seamanlike cool I was privileged to
witness one summer’s day a few years back.

Eating lunch in a waterfront restaurant, I watched a hundred-foot gaff schooner
appear around the warehouses and shape up for the dockside under sail. The
vessel was well-known locally to have no engine. Her skipper had allowed what
seemed more than enough space for contingencies, yet as the schooner luffed off
the last of her way, a wicked gust veered the wind through an impossible 90
degrees and filled her mainsail. Nobody deserved a deal like that.

Without waiting for an order, the crew began surging away the mainsheet as
though their pensions depended on it, but that giant sail kept right on
drawing. The schooner was left with no way of stopping. She only brought up as
her bowsprit added value to my meal by joining our table through the huge open
window. The mate had run up to the end of the spar and, with his passage well
and truly over, found himself standing eye-to-eye with an outraged head waiter.
For a few seconds he seemed to be counting under his breath, then he placed his
order.

‘I’ll take a Coors Lite for myself, six Tequila slammers for the boys and a
quart of Wild Turkey for the Old Man.’

In the stunned silence, this young folk hero ignored the sickening twang as a
tortured outer forestay carried away the upper rigging, nor did he turn a hair
as his tumbling fore topmast demolished a passing harbormaster’s launch,
thankfully without injury to life or limb.

Later that day, I was drinking coffee with the schooner captain as his crew
worked on rigging replacements.

‘You soon learn in this game never to shove a sailing boat into a tight corner
without an escape route in case things go wrong,’ the skipper said.

I was in unqualified awe of this man, but under the circumstances I had to ask,
‘So what went wrong today?’

‘At least I steered her in through the window,’ he shrugged. ‘Topmasts are easy
to replace. A rookie would have splintered his headgear all over the wall.’

‘And what about the harbor launch?’

‘The guy was under power,’ he replied with a straight face. ‘No sense of
anticipation. What else can you expect?’

Bill