Do we need to have someone local to arrange this?  If not, we could consider
places like Sag Harbor or Shelter Island.  I have heard Old Saybrook/ Essex is
nice also, but have not cruised there.  There are people at my club who do
regularly so I could find out more.  I would also offer New London.  Our club
might have dock space for us, but it is somewhat limited.  Near downtown New
London there is a town dock that I think would be suitable.  It is walking
distance to downtown and all the restaurants etc.  I could find out more if
there is interest.  Dave

On Sep 7, 2014, at 5:42 PM, Bill Bina via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Milford is one of those places where drawing no more than 5 feet is VERY
> helpful, if not mandatory. Unless they have dredged it in the last 5 years or
> so, there were several sand humps near the mouth of the river that my keel
> would bump on my way in or out unless it was high tide. The town operated
> marina at the head of the harbor is nice, but likewise very shallow. Really
> just for daytripping powerboats. They had a few (3?) deeper slips, but I was
> in one of those and woke up at low tide to find I was firmly stuck in over a
> foot of mud with my 5 foot draft. A scuba diver happened by, and he stood up
> at the end of my slip. The water was somewhere between his belly button and
> chest! Not kidding. Too bad, because the town operated slips are directly on
> the restaurant district and the price was right. There is a nice privately
> owned marina, Milford Boatworks & Marina, just down from the town facility,
> with deeper slips, but it is a little further from the restaurants and
> business areas and costs a bit more. I would call them about the shoaling
> situation before making any plans.
>
> Danfords Marina in Port Jeff might be able to accommodate you with enough
> lead time, but $$$$$ KA-CHING! It is a great setup, though. Right in the
> heart of the village with tons of boutiques and restaurants.
>
> Bill Bina
>
> On 9/7/2014 10:50 AM, Edd Schillay via CnC-List wrote:
>> John,
>>
>>  Not to speak for the group, but I think one of the more fun aspects of a
>> rendezvous is the dock meet ups and walking around exploring other’s boats —
>> which is kind of lost on moorings or raft-ups.
>>
>>  Port Jeff is a great location, but there’s only one really good marina and
>> they often seem pretty packed with boats — not sure they could group a bunch
>> of C&Cs together.
>>
>>  Clinton is a nice place, but it is pretty far east and a little tricky to
>> get into. However, I don’t want to lose the attendance of those coming from
>> places like Eastern CT or MA either.
>>
>>  Milford could be a good option, being right in the middle of the Sound.
>>

>>  All the best,
>>
>>  Edd
>>

>>  Edd M. Schillay
>>  Starship Enterprise