I haven't removed Alianna's mast for the past 5 years at least.she is stored
on jack stands during winter (mid Oct to mid June) with the keel on a couple
of 8x8 blocks.  We take care to get her level so that water runs out the
cockpit drains. I cover just from in front of the companion way aft with a
supported tarp to keep most of the snow out of the cockpit.  I release 3
full turns on each upper shroud (single spreader rig, fore and aft lowers)
with no release on the lowers.I seize the turn buckles.  I leave all the
lines up during winter storage, 1 main halyard, 2 jib halyards, 2 spin
halyards, spin pole topping lift, main topping lift and I secure the boom
with 3/8 inch braid in place of the main sheet system to the tow rail; the
inboard end is left attached to the mast at the gooseneck  , I keep about
1000 pounds on the hydraulic backstay.I remove the vang and secure all
halyards forward and secure other lines so there is no slapping against the
mast.  Has worked fine for me and considering the bother with messenger
lines every year I decided not to do that so I'll probably sacrifice some
halyard life but I feel certain my halyards will last at least 15 years
(some are more than 10 years old already and still looking good).new lines
every 15 years or so is not a bad thing.last year for the first time ever I
drilled a 3/8 inch garboard drain hole, with no plug and before launch I
simply cleaned the hole with acetone and filled with thickened epoxy.this
worked very well so I will redrill the same hole this fall after she is
hauled out.my Raymarine wind instrument is left just as it is for
sailing.the anemometer spinning in the wind; in fact the mast has not been
removed since I installed that gear, I could check to make sure but I
believe that was 7 years ago.still works fine.  Maybe I have been very
lucky.I do check things out during storage every few weeks and after big
storms.make sure the jack stands are adjusted tight.and that the chains
between them are also tight.3 stands either side plus a bow stand used for
Alianna

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS