On 10/31/2014 10:45 AM, Rick Brass wrote:

What you say is true, Bill; if you change the bulb the light fixture is no longer certified. Heck, if your wiring is corroded and delivers less than the voltage specified for testing, I'd bet is it no longer certified as well.

Still certified, but no longer meeting the legal requirements! In court, even a certified fixture can be challenged. I replaced my certified stern light this season because the lens on the old one was too weathered to be legal... or safe.

But nowhere in the Consolidated Federal Regulations can I find a requirement that the operator of a boat need to use a certified light. Only that you meet the COLREGS requirements, unless your boat is over 65 ft and in passenger service for more than 6 passengers -- and then you need to also meet the UL compliance requirement.

Agreed.

(If I learned nothing else in getting my Masters License, I did learn how to navigate the Consolidated Federal Regulations. I'm sure there are different but similar requirements for Canadian boaters, but wouldn't have a clue as to where to look for them.) The requirement for certified lights applies only to a boat manufacturer.

That said, your point is about evidence in a potential admiralty court case. Plaintiffs' attorney can make any statement they want -- true or not -- during a case. It is the responsibility of the defense attorney to refute the stuff that is wrong or untrue. (They actually taught this stuff to my ex-wife, who is a retired Judge, in law school.) The claim about lights not certified could be used to cloud the other issues in a hearing and mitigate the size of a settlement.

But remember, no case involving a boat accident is about absolute liability. COLREGS rule 2 makes every maritime accident a shared liability event. So if you do go to court you are arguing about the portion of liability for each party involved, and arguing about the size of the settlement. If your lights are substandard or not even turned on, the other party is still required by Rule 5 (lookout) and Rule 6 (safe speed) to see you and avoid you. So the condition of your lights will not absolve him of responsibility -- but they might reduce his damages if he hits you.

And unless your boat or your life is a whale of a lot more valuable than mine, the insurance company will likely find it a lot less expensive to pay the damages rather than incur the expense of lawyers and trial to reduce the amount they have to pay.

I think we basically are in agreement, Rick. I have just tried to point out that there is a difference between "meeting the regulations" and being certified as meeting the regulations. This is a distinct difference.

All that said, I have a certified anchor light on the top of my mast, but I don't use it. I opt for hanging a very bright LED camp lantern in the triangle formed by the mast and boom, at about 20-25 feet up. I am confident that although it is in no way certified, that it far exceeds the requirements for an anchor light. It also greatly reduces the chance that I would ever need to prove that point after being hit by someone who claims they didn't see me. :-)