Wal, if you are gone any amount of time when they fail you have lost the boat anyway - any half decently sized bilge pump will kill the battery. Let's assume a Whale 1000 gallon / hr pump, this will pull 4 amps. The 1000 gallons/hr rating is ideal, like mileage ratings on cars, so in real life assuming 5 feet of head you will get maybe half that.

A 1" hose off a fitting at 2 feet below waterline will flood at 12.7 gpm = 762 gallons per hour. Your pump won't keep up with that.

So back to the Defender site, what's a 2000 gph pump draw? The Rule pump draws 8.4 amps. So now your boat is safe, at a cost of 8.4 amp hours - how many days does that keep your boat afloat? What if it is a seacock that fails (higher flooding rate), or a bigger fitting?

(technical reference: Calder, Boatowner's Mechanical And Electrical Manual 3rd edition, "flooding rates" p 581)

How many on here have a 2000 gph automatic bilge pumps? I consider automatic bilge pumps to be suitable for nuisance flooding (e.g. rain down the mast), and one would buy me a bit of time in a crisis, but to rely on one for long term unattended protection is unrealistic. Far better to check and eliminate the risks you mention.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2014-11-03 1:00 PM, Wally Bryant via CnC-List wrote:
Not crazy, but how old are your through hulls, sea cocks and hoses? Are your hoses held up with seizing wire so if the sink connections crack the hose won't fall down below the waterline? Do you have any red brass nipples connecting sea cocks to bronze T's to share hose fittings? That's the stuff I worry about, because I might be gone if they fail.

Speaking of boats sinking at the dock, we had another one here the other day. The locals were trying to raise it with empty 55 gallon drums -- except the drums weren't empty. The smell of solvent was overwhelming from 100 yards away, and I looked over to see them dumping the remaining contents into the marina water. Great. I walked over to complain, but they couldn't speak English and insisted it was just aqua. The drums were covered with warnings from 'flammable' to 'do not inhale fumes.' Funny how they were doing it on a national holiday, when the port captain was gone and the marina security was on a skeleton staff.

Wal

you wrote:
I don’t have an electric automatic bilge pump. I just have my Whale gusher. I have never found much water in the boat even after extended time on the mooring. Usually just a short turn (maybe 10 pumps) at the pump handle empties it out. Am I crazy?