Something in the oven?  You are pregnant?  Congrats! :-)

Not attacking - who has energy (or motivation) for that?

You seemed to be saying that maintenance is important, and I'm in full agreement with that. Just wanted to point out the false hope of relying on an electric bilge pump, with some numbers.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2014-11-04 12:00 AM, Wally Bryant wrote:
Well, yes, I have been gone for quite some time.  It works for me.

best regardsmifl  (darn these foreign keyboards)\

wAL
(vbg)

PS. Please don't attack me right now, I have something in the oven.
And actually, if I read your message correctly, you are supporting my assertion.

you wrote:
Wal, if you are gone any amount of time when they fail you have lost the boat anyway - any half decently sized bilge pump will kill the battery. Let's assume a Whale 1000 gallon / hr pump, this will pull 4 amps. The 1000 gallons/hr rating is ideal, like mileage ratings on cars, so in real life assuming 5 feet of head you will get maybe half that.

A 1" hose off a fitting at 2 feet below waterline will flood at 12.7 gpm = 762 gallons per hour. Your pump won't keep up with that.

So back to the Defender site, what's a 2000 gph pump draw? The Rule pump draws 8.4 amps. So now your boat is safe, at a cost of 8.4 amp hours - how many days does that keep your boat afloat? What if it is a seacock that fails (higher flooding rate), or a bigger fitting?

(technical reference: Calder, Boatowner's Mechanical And Electrical Manual 3rd edition, "flooding rates" p 581)

How many on here have a 2000 gph automatic bilge pumps? I consider automatic bilge pumps to be suitable for nuisance flooding (e.g. rain down the mast), and one would buy me a bit of time in a crisis, but to rely on one for long term unattended protection is unrealistic. Far better to check and eliminate the risks you mention.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11