Marinas often sell both gas and diesel that have been specifically formulated for marine use. They have additives that address conditions that differ from conditions on roads and highways. One major brand of this "marine" fuel is Valvtect. Is it necessary? Probably not. Is it beneficial? Could have more and better anti-corrosion additives, etc, that help your engine.

http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelDiesel.asp

Bill Bina