From: Joel Aronson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: steve <steve0...@gmail.com>, "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Cabin Sole replacement
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:10:22 -0500

Ouch! If labor is 8600 (expensive varnish?), at $80 an hour it is over 100
hours.  At $40 an hour, it is over 200 hours.  Did they use hand saws and
rasps?  Sounds ridiculous for a mediocre job! Joel
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM, steve via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com>wrote:I acquired a 1984 C&C 41 earlier this year that
had a been on the hard for a couple of years.  The boat's in pretty good shape
and surveyed out nicely.  However, it was left with standing water in the
bilges.  The freeze/thaw cycle completely destroyed the cabin sole so I needed
to replace it. The shop just finished installing the new teak & holly marine
grade plywood sole and it looks pretty good.  Some gaps are wider than they
should be and the subfloor is pieced together poorly but, overall the sole
really improves the look of the cabin. Now I'm looking at the bill - actually,
choking on it.  The shop guy and I apparently miscommunicated in a staggeringly
significant manner.  I had expected a bill of $4,100 which seemed high but, on
the edge of reasonable and, I just couldn't free up enough time to try the job
myself. The actual bill is for $9,600....I could have freed up a lot more time
at $9,600!! So, I'm trying to find out if I just completely underestimated the
work and the cost is reasonable...or, if I'm getting totally and completely
hosed. I would love to hear opinions on this.  By the way, the cost of the wood
was about $700.  I don't know the cost of the varnish. Steve AndersonShadowC&C
41

Joel
301 541 8551