I looked at Dri Diver before making my rig for about $15-$20. In fact, it was my original inspiration. One big difference is that my system can do the keel. I also wondered if the scotch brite pad might be a little too aggressive on my ablative bottom paint. Different strokes I guess! :-)

Bill Bina

On 12/23/2014 11:21 AM, Gary Nylander wrote:
There's an outfit called Dri-Diver which makes a device like you described. I hope they are still around, because I need a new scrub pad. It is about 6 inches wide and 3 feet long. A scotch brite style pad hooks to a plastic (maybe 1/8 inch thick) backing strip which has half a dozen cylinders of floatation hooked to it (crosswise). All is attached to a plastic pipe handle with a bit of a bend in it. There used to be a lesser version with just a single floatation pad on the back, but after I wore that one out, I got the special model with the cylinders. The only downside is that you cannot reach the keel.
I use it between diver trips.
Gary

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Bill Bina - gmail via CnC-List <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
    *To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:59 AM
    *Subject:* Re: Stus-List Diving your own boat

    I made a rig that uses an outdoor broom with stiff bristles, and
    some flotation that screws onto the end of a boat hook. It makes
    bottom cleaning at a slip a short, and relatively easy job. I'm
    now on a mooring, and have to work my way around the boat, tying
    the dinghy to the railing as I go. It takes a little longer and a
    little more work, but it is still not that hard to do.

    I'm not a racer, so this method is more than adequate.I'm sure a
    diver would do a better job, since he can see what he is doing.

    I use the same rig to do my outboard rudder from the cockpit.
    Screwing the broom head directly to the boat hook does not work
    very well. In addition to the pool noodle floation, I also added a
    curved extension made from plumbing so that the broom head is
    offset from the boathook by about a foot. That clearance makes all
    the difference in reaching the center area of the hull without the
    boathook hitting the hull. I think I have some pictures of this
    thing on my home computer. If I can find them, I'll post them
    somewhere on the web.

    Bill Bina