Hi all; I hope everyone had a great New Years! I am looking for feedback on an
anchor windlass; my boat, (1985 C&C 37, CB, new to me last year) came with an
older model Powerwinch 502 unit, ( not to be confused with the current
Powerwinch 500 which is for pontoon boats); I have little experience with
windlasses, all of my prior boats were easy enough to haul the anchor by hand.

This unit is mounted on a heavy stainless bracket and appears to be appropriate
size for the boat; however, it does not work and so far I haven't been able to
determine whether it is an electrical issue or a mechanical issue; my question
is; given the age of this unit, should I bother at all?  The advertised
comparable Powerwinch units are in the $600-700 range and I am thinking that in
the future, parts availability and reliability will be more important than
saving a few buck now...so please let me know your thoughts, and if you think
replacement is warranted, what would you recommend?   If this unit is worth
keeping, what would you recommend troubleshooting-wise?

Many thanks......

Richard
1985 C&C 37 CB; Ohio River; Mile 596

Richard N. Bush