How much chain and rode do you have?  I haul my 37+ by hand.  It isn't easy
but I do it regularly.  Have you ever tried?  How much anchoring do you
intend to do?  I bought a manual windlass but haven't installed it.  It
works similar to a vertical electric windlass just without the motor
sticking out the bottom and you attach a winch handle in the top.
Clockwise ratchets the anchor in, counterclockwise loosens the clutch and
plays out the anchor.  Fabricating a mount is really my only hold up, that
and the fact that I can haul it by hand.

Troubleshooting yours should be easy.  The motor works with 12v forward and
reverse polarity to change direction.  A solinoid is used in line to carry
the high current instead of the push button.  An easy go, no-go test would
be to disconnect the motor connections and jumper a portable 12v battery
momentarily to the motor terminals.  If it moves then the windlass is
probably good and not the problem.  If it doesn't move then I would remove
the motor and perform motor troubleshooting such as brushes, winding
resistance, and hand rotation.  Rewinds are cost effective.  Brushes are
cheap.  If it is bound mechanical then you may have to replace the motor.

With the motor off try to drive the windlass to ensure it is not bound.
Disassemble and repair as necessary.

Troubleshoot the electrical.  Heavy gauge wire is required and corrosion at
any or all of the terminals could easily be causing you problems.  A bad
switch or a bad solinoid are also well within the relm of possibilities.

Your concerns about parts and repairs is warranted but you will experience
the same challenges from a new replacement which is why I have chosen a
manual windlass and even hesitate to install it.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Jan 3, 2015 10:07 AM, "Richard N. Bush via CnC-List" <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi all; I hope everyone had a great New Years! I am looking for feedback
> on an anchor windlass; my boat, (1985 C&C 37, CB, new to me last year) came
> with an older model Powerwinch 502 unit, ( not to be confused with the
> current Powerwinch 500 which is for pontoon boats); I have little
> experience with windlasses, all of my prior boats were easy enough to haul
> the anchor by hand.
>
> This unit is mounted on a heavy stainless bracket and appears to be
> appropriate size for the boat; however, it does not work and so far I
> haven't been able to determine whether it is an electrical issue or a
> mechanical issue; my question is; given the age of this unit, should I
> bother at all?  The advertised comparable Powerwinch units are in the
> $600-700 range and I am thinking that in the future, parts availability and
> reliability will be more important than saving a few buck now...so please
> let me know your thoughts, and if you think replacement is warranted, what
> would you recommend?   If this unit is worth keeping, what would you
> recommend troubleshooting-wise?
>
> Many thanks......
>  Richard
> 1985 C&C 37 CB; Ohio River; Mile 596