Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2015-02-12 5:17 PM, Sam Salter via CnC-List wrote:
‎Engineers know stuff!

sam :-)
*From: *dwight veinot via CnC-List
*Sent: *Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:15 PM
*To: *Rick Brass; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
*Reply To: *dwight veinot
*Subject: *Re: Stus-List Window Installation - 1985 41

Rick

Is it really true that the designers at C&C expected glued on acryllic ports to stiffen the whole boat

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, */Alianna/*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS
d.ve...@bellaliant.net <mailto:d.ve...@bellaliant.net>

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Rick Brass via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    I have the aluminum frame windows on both my boats, which I
    consider to be less stylish but much more practical, so I'm
    basically just an interested onlooker to this discussion. But it
    seems to me a point made several years ago in a similar thread has
    been lost here.

    The frameless windows were glued into the deck/cabin structure and
    helped to stiffen it, which also helps to stiffen the whole boat.

    Plexus seems a right PITA to use, but it has lasted the better
    part of 30 years on our old boats. And the comments about damaging
    gel oat when removing old portlights speaks to its tenacity as an
    adhesive.

    Sika 295uv, and the 3M equivalent, are great adhesives and
    sealers. (And also a PITA to use. Don't even THINK about not using
    the primer.)  I used Sika 295 on my rebuilt hatches, and it is
    great for car windshields (which are bedded in rubber so the
    window does not crack as the car body flexes) but it remains
    flexible. And from the previous discussions on the list I've
    gotten the impression that the hull and deck flexing leads to
    leaks in a few years, and polycarbonate portlights held in by
    screws tend to get cracks at the stress points.

    As I said, I have no real experience with the glued in portlight
    solutions and I'm happy with my simple, cheap, durable, but not
    stylish aluminum frames. I just wanted to remind the group about
    why the frameless portlights were glued in by C&C in the first place.

    Rick Brass

    Sent from my iPad

    On Feb 8, 2015, at 20:38, Edd Schillay via CnC-List