When I do this project I plan on using a glass suction cup or likely two
from the inside and tie them off somewhere under load. In my opinion using
these in tension while provide a much more even and stronger load across
the portlights, keeping them in place while they cure. I prefer to keep my
stantions for what they were intended, keeping the lifelines in place for
an emergency.

This: http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/FAST-CAP-Suction-Cup-Lifter-3KNF1
or similar product as was already mentioned.