if you keep the paper on the acrylic, the suction will be lost quite fast.

Leslie.

On Tue, 2/17/15, Kevin Driscoll via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Stus-List Portlight Replacement with VHB Tape & Dow 795
 To: "Dr. Mark Bodnar" <drbod...@accesswave.ca>, cnc-list@cnc-list.com,
rph2m...@yahoo.com
 Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 9:08 PM

 When I do
 this project I plan on using a glass suction cup or likely
 two from the inside and tie them off somewhere under load.
 In my opinion using these in tension while provide a much
 more even and stronger load across the portlights, keeping
 them in place while they cure. I prefer to keep my stantions
 for what they were intended, keeping the lifelines in place
 for an emergency.
 This: http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/FAST-CAP-Suction-Cup-Lifter-3KNF1
 or similar product as was already mentioned.

 On
 Tue, Feb 17, 2015, 8:40 PM Dr. Mark Bodnar via CnC-List
 <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 wrote:
 Robert,

 Thanks for further input. My plan is to follow the same
 idea. I like your keyhole idea to locate the window
 effectively.

 One question - did you tape the window in place and then add
 the 795 into the gap? Or did you put some 795 on the back of
 the acrylic (or the cabin side)?  I feel like I'd like
 to get more 795 in begins the acrylic - but maybe the point
 is that the tape provides the holding power and the 795 is
 just waterproofing sealant.

 Mark

 On February
 17, 2015 2:22:57 PM AST, "Robert H. via CnC-List"
 <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 wrote:

 I am
 writing to update on my portlight replacement
 project.
 The
 installation went perfectly and the portlight looks
 great.
 Applying a few
 wood blocks to the inside of the portlight with removable,
 double-sided poster tape was a very effective way to affix
 the portlight in proper alignment. It slid into position
 like a puzzle piece, which is good because you only get one
 crack at it with the VHB tape.
 I also have a very good feeling
 about the VHB / DC 795 method - though time will be the
 ultimate judge. I am comforted by the thought that the tape
 and DC 795 will allow the portlight to expand and contract
 with heat and cold at a different rate that the cabin top
 without breaking the bond (in theory,
 anyway).
 For those
 that are thinking of using the same technique, here’s one
 final tip and a few comments.
 The tip: I had good success
 using a couple of telescoping hiking poles to apply
 pressure to the portlight by bracing them against the
 lifelines while the VHB tape set up. I also used a heat gun
 to warm up the cabin top before applying the
 portlight.
 I have no
 leaks in any of the other portlights (yet), so I’m going
 to wait until the weather warms up before I start on them. I
 learned that the initial bond of the VHB tape is dependent
 on both the application of continuous pressure and the
 ambient temperature. The 3M data sheet does a better job of
 explaining this than I will. Once you have a solid bond,
 it will hold well even in cold conditions, but you will be
 doing yourself a favour if you wait for warmer
 conditions.

 Sent from Windows Mail