Wet cells definitely can emit corrosive acid fumes. My wife's car battery
does this, it gets the nasty sulfur-metal-acid crystals all over the battery
connections. I solved that by spraying them with engine fogging oil.

You have some form-factor issues with wet vs. gel/AGM. A wet cell needs to
be in a battery container that can hold spilled acid. A gel/AGM cannot leak
and you could even cut it in half and use the half that still had the
terminals. The 35 MK I can fit a 4D into the battery space, but not a 4D in
a container, so if you want to go that way a wet battery is out. We once did
have a wet battery not in a case and it cracked in half during a hurricane
and leaked acid into the bilge. That was not a nice smell - sulfur and
chlorine gas :(

Speaking of battery size, "golf cart" is not always a wet cell. You can get
them in gel and AGM too. Two golf carts are a LOT easier to move around than
one 8D and the AHs are about the same. You also can fit 3 group 24s in an 8D
case.

Joe Della Barba

j...@dellabarba.com <mailto:j...@dellabarba.com>

Coquina