Just go with the appropriate new Garhauer.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Peter Fell via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: ‎2015-‎03-‎02 7:24 PM
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang

An update

The seller posted up a price ... $400 !!! I discussed it with him, armed with
the info provided via this forum (especially Dennis ... thanks) and offered
$150. He had a mild heart attack and went away ... came back later at $200. I
went to look at the boom vang and it was missing the 3 “external” blocks + one
of the sheaves was broken on the vang itself (not exactly the “excellent”
condition that was described in the ad!)  The seller swore up and down that
there never were any blocks with it and that he had paid $1200 for it in 2005
and that it wasn’t a Garhauer. Well it definitely is an older model RV20-1
model. 2-inch diameter tube and the length (uncompressed) is the same as the
length of my current (soft) vang. I think there is a good possibility that the
boom plate would fit my boom ... not so sure on the mast plate since the C&C 30
mast is wider and the 27 has the sail groove that stands proud from the mast.
However I had checked with Garhauer who said: 1) shouldn’t be any problems with
spring tension between a 27 and a 30’'; and 2) new mast and boom plates would
be $80 (US) or $40 each ... if only one is needed.  Regardless .... I walked
away, considering the missing blocks and broken sheave.

Well today the seller phoned me back ... he’s found the blocks and put the boom
vang up for consignment at a local store. Not sure what they are asking at this
point.

Question I have is after checking this thing out it seems to me to be probably
1 size larger than what is really needed and would work best for the C&C 27.
Just checking out the differences between 27 booms and 30 booms in the marina
... the 30’s boom is much larger. The RV20-1 is meant for 28 – 44ft boat (as is
the current RV20-1 SL model). I’m thinking a RV6 (aluminum, up to 32ft boat) or
RV18-1 (28-36ft boat with a tube diameter 1-3/4") would be a better fit. So I
think I’ve effectively talked myself out of this particular unit.

Anyone out there with a C&C 27 recall what model they are using? Any experience
with the aluminum vs. the stainless versions? By the way, Garhauer has a 10%
off sale right now till the end of March ... softens the blow a wee bit!

Peter Fell
Sidney, BC
Cygnet
C&C 27 MkIII