I'd say try and post some pictures.  you never know what kind of layout may or
may not have been tried over the years by various owners.

When I moved up to the 33 from a 22, I had no idea what anything did...  So I
went with what I knew from the smaller boat.

If your mast is still up then start to Figure out what does what.  My 33 had 5
halyards I got rid of 2 of them and the never used the 3rd.  I'm not a racer
and I'm happy sailing with a head sail and main sail (for now anyway).

Once I figured out which lines coming out of the mast at the bottom were Main
and head halyards, I figured out how they must have worked on deck, one at a
time.  Mine were not run to the cockpit so that made things even easier to
figure out.  I basically set the Jib once, Tied it off and usually didn't raise
or lower that sail much during the season.  maybe just crank up the tension now
and again.  I didn't mind going up on deck to raise the main, auto pilot was a
blessing for that task.

Then I started with the other lines, found one to be a topping lift and one the
spin halyard, those came back to the cockpit and I never used them.

Then I moved to the boom and figured out how the lazy jacks worked by
researching on line and finding similar hardware on the mast and boom.  My Mast
was out of the boat when I bought the boat and came out every year.  Then I
found the out haul and how it worked and finally the reefing layout..

I guess my point is, just keep investigating and searching on line.  Take your
time, be patient.  it will take some time but you'll be able to figure it all
out and gain a considerable amount of knowledge during the process.  You'll
probably find some of it you won't need right away, but you'll figure out what
its for and maybe not use it but you'll be able to tell people what stuff is
when they ask!  LOL

I think that boats of these vintage have been tweaked and modified pretty often
over the years and each one will be a little different than any other.  Hell I
met a guy that had a German sheeting system rigged on his S&S designed Catalina
38 from the late 70s...  You just never know what creative things a PO is
capable of...  LOL

I had so many WTF was he thinking moments on my viking...  I spent weekend
after weekend on that boat, on the hard just working on stuff before our first
launch.  I don't think my wife had every been so upset with me, before or
since...  LOL

Danny