I think you've gotten some good advice from the list so far.  I second the
opinion(s) that the original layout may not be optimum.

I sailed and raced on many boats for several years before I purchased my
35-1.  From that experience, I had a decent idea of how I wanted to
reconfigure the running rigging on Touche'.

It does depend on what kind of sailing you do.  For instance, if you do a
lot of windward/leeward racing with port mark roundings, then you want to
cross your port spinnaker or wing halyard in the mast so it exits the
starboard side of the mast.  Your port jib halyard should also exit on the
starboard side.  Given that, it is nice if the main halyard and pole
topping lift exits on the port side.

What works for the way we sail Touche' may not work for you.

Take some time, give some thought and, if possible, sail/race on other
boats or walk the piers and look at other boats.  Eventually it will make
sense.  It is also not permanent, you can revise it if you want.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA