The other downside to using alcohol as a fuel is that it releases an amazing amount of moisture in the air as it burns. In the confines of a boat cabin, this is quite noticeable.

Bill Bina

On 3/6/2015 12:19 PM, Jim Reinardy via CnC-List wrote:
I ripped out a pressurized alcohol stove and replaced it with an Origo on my last boat. I would 2nd Alan’s assessment below. They are great because they are self-contained, no need for tanks, lines, etc, and almost no risk of fire. In my case, I made some wooden spacers and was able to bolt it into an existing gimbal mount. The downside is the lower heat compared to propane, or I assume CNG. It takes a long time to boil water and things like that. Firewater came with a complete propane setup that works great. That would be the obvious choice if the lines are already run, but given the locker requirements it’s not a small job on most boats.

Jim Reinardy
C&C 30-2 “Firewater”
Milwaukee, WI

Sent from Windows Mail

*From:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Sent:* ‎Friday‎, ‎March‎ ‎6‎, ‎2015 ‎10‎:‎14‎ ‎AM
*To:* Alan Bergen <mailto:alan-at-h...@comcast.net>, cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>

I have a two-burner Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove. Perfectly safe, works well for cooking, but you have to buy a French press if you like coffee in the morning because there aren’t enough BTUs to percolate coffee fast enough, at least for me. I use denatured alcohol from Home Depot at a fraction of the cost of “boat fuel.” Despite the claims of the boat fuel sellers, the generic stuff works perfectly fine. If you go this way, it helps to have a propane BBQ on the stern rail for the occasional meal when you really want that hot flame.
Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25
Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30
Tierra Verde, Fl.