From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Michael
Brown via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:42 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Tool recommendation

I have no idea from a real world test how acetone and ATF work together as
a penetrating oil, but it does seem unlikely it works well. First off they
should not mix so they do not form a homogeneous solution. I would guess
that 100% acetone would work well to penetrate but it is not very slippery.
Even most hydraulic fluids are not naturally slippery, they require modifiers.
Power steering fluid and ATF are closely related, but likely have differences
in things like anti-foam additives. Doubt it would be a critical difference for
a home brew penetrating oil.

Some of the normal vegetable oils are much more slippery, and do mix
with acetone.

https://www.engineeringforchange.org/news/2012/08/14/how_to_make_penetrating_oil.html

So 10% acetone and 90% vegetable oil may work as well as acetone - ATF.

The home brew formula may have started with 1,1,1-trichloroethane (a/k/a methyl
chloroform)
and ATF - Ed's Red formula. Doubt it was worth the hazards involved.

http://fireironmfg.proboards.com/thread/87/penetrating-oil

The one thing that I have noticed is that when two properly sized and clean
threads have
locked together nothing will penetrate to any degree that will help. That is
why pipe thread
can handle pressure and not leak. Yes, it is tapered and has a specific thread
but normal
non-tapered thread can seal as well.

Just speculating, but on an old rusty nut that was not torqued down hard the
acetone
may do all the penetrating and loosen things up. The ATF may not penetrate at
all but
helps when backing the nut off. So the fact that they do not mix is not a
problem.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1