Jim wrote:
Be very careful with snubbers. <snip>
Right. I use a single snubber, tied on with a modified rolling hitch. It has held fine in 50 with gusts to 70, but after that it was about four feet longer. Now it's a dock line, and I have a new snubber. (Actually, I'm a few snubbers past that.) The whole 'snubber hook' thing is just a way to take your money. I'm totally into the rolling hitch, which has never failed and doesn't place the strain on a single link.

I also truly am signed up for the cheap (relatively) 8 strand single braid that is just as strong as three strand braided rope but doesn't turn into a ball of nylon when you swing around for a few weeks or months.

The good thing about the rolling hitch is that you can let the snubber loose and it will stay attached. When it gets ugly and you need to let out scope to avoid bigger issues, you can just let it go and tie on another snubber with a rolling hitch and save the boat.

Wal

--
s/v Stella Blue
www.wbryant.com