From: "Jim Watts via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "Eric Cahn" <ec.turtl...@gmail.com>, "1 CnC List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2015 6:52:14 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Deck hardware for mooring

Be very careful with snubbers. When I worked at West we had to replace several
sets of mooring lines that had been eaten by WM snubbers. Those were not a good
design at all.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On 14 March 2015 at 15:42, Eric Cahn via CnC-List < cnc-list@cnc-list.com >
wrote:

{{{>You want to size mooring lines so there is some give, just like an anchor
> line. Bigger is not necessarily better.
>
> In a large storm, stagger maybe 5 lines of different length so that one
> takes over as another breaks. They will break in big storms.
>
> I never saw a mooring cleat pull out. Lines always went first. A main
> culprit was an unusually large wave that would pull the bow up and snap a
> perfectly good, protected line. Make the lines as long as they can be in a
> storm.
>
> I was on a helix mooring. The anchors always held, but a weak point was
> the line from the helix to the mooring. They need to be replaced every few
> years or after particularly bad storms like hurricanes.}}}

What about using line snubbers for the main pennants and a safety backup set to
the maximum stretch of the snubber. This seems it would help the shock loads on
the pennants AND on the mooring line. Perhaps even run a couple of snubbers in
series to really reduce shock. Just an idea. Could it work?