{{{>You want to size mooring lines so there is some give, just like an
anchor
> line. Bigger is not necessarily better.
>
> In a large storm, stagger maybe 5 lines of different length so that one
> takes over as another breaks. They will break in big storms.
>
> I never saw a mooring cleat pull out. Lines always went first. A main
> culprit was an unusually large wave that would pull the bow up and snap a
> perfectly good, protected line. Make the lines as long as they can be in a
> storm.
>
> I was on a helix mooring. The anchors always held, but a weak point was
> the line from the helix to the mooring. They need to be replaced every few
> years or after particularly bad storms like hurricanes.}}}

What about using line snubbers for the main pennants and a safety backup
set to the maximum stretch of the snubber.  This seems it would help the
shock loads on the pennants AND on the mooring line.  Perhaps even run a
couple of snubbers in series to really reduce shock.  Just an idea.  Could
it work?