Plus one vote for the hammer crimper, that is what I use.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2015-03-25 7:50 PM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List wrote:

So after reading Peter's link on pbase, I have less support of my own recommendation for the cheap "hydraulic" crimper for which I sent a link.

However, after seeing the price of the crimper on pbase ($275), I more strongly support my suggestion of the hammer crimp. Aside from the suggested crimper all of the other suggestions are reasonable.

I think you are going to find yourself at an impasse regarding cost and quality. While the quality of the crimper and lugs suggested by pbase appear to be of superior quality, you are probably going to find that the cost and availability of the lugs is restrictive and the cost of the crimper prohibitive. Its a pretty large commitment.

Quality lugs for the hammer crimper are readily available if you choose to go the cheap way. As pbase even said, that knarly looking chrimp still worked. The crimper was only one of many criticisms of that crimp. It is my opinion that if you employ all of the other pbase suggestions but use the hammer crimper and compatible lugs then you will still end up with a quality, long lasting and safe connection. I've done dozens and am proud of all of them.

Josh