Joel wrote:
Your local chandlery may let you use one.

Right. Up in the SF Bay I bought big wires at Sven's just because they had a commercial crimper on a bench.

That said, I have one of those cheap Ancor crimpers. I don't use a hammer. I use vice grips, and slowly work it down. It ain't perfect, but all of those crimps have held up perfectly for many years. Of course the crimp was sealed with the heavy clear adhesive lined heat shrink stuff.

Wal