A very noble cause. I remember those crew descriptions.

You won't need many descriptions if the boats have roller furled jibs.
Helm, Mainsheet Trimmer, Genoa Trimmer each side? Maybe a Floater who skirts
the jib, and works the halyards, Cunningham, Vang, Outhaul, Preventer?

The most intimidating thing to me was not running into other boats during the
start, the start sequence; timing the start, the various flags, gun, etc. It
would be good to practice that in class showing the Preparatory signal,
Postponement, Start flags.

I can recommend a very good book on racing:
Getting Started in Sailboat Racing by Adam Cort, 2005; helps explains getting
around the course, and simple start strategies, etc.

For trimming sails, I buy my guys Mainsail Trimming and Jib Trimming both by
Felix Marks, 2007 very common sense and easy to read.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Broad Creek, Magothy River, Md