Before the Great Refit, often when my wife and I went out for an afternoon sail
it went like this:

Me: “Honey, could you just take in on the mainsheet a bit?”

Wife, putting down her knitting and cranking: “Is that enough?”

“Yes. Thanks”

Wife goes back to knitting.

“Honey, could ease the traveler down a bit?”

Wife: “Okay… Is that enough?”

Me: “Yes. Thanks.”

Me in a few seconds: “Could you bring the traveler up a bit?” (after cranking
in on the jib”

Wife: “Your racing again, aren’t you?”

Me: “Well, there’s a boat on the horizon and I think he’s pointing higher than
us.”

Wife: “Really…?”

Me: “Just pull it up a little bit, okay?”

Wife goes back to knitting…

AKA: Competition Cruising.

Cheers,
Dave Godwin