We did a run last weekend to a local harbor for the weekend. Wind was fluky and it was a short trip so we were motoring. Alera has a Yanmar 3HM35 with around 700 original hours and was running fine at our usual cruising RPM of 26-2800 on the tach. The hot alarm went off and I let her cool down and then ran at a lower ROM (1800 or so) and no more alarms. When I got to our destination, I cleaned out the raw water trap as it was pretty crapped up. On the way back the alarm went off again but this time all I had to do was throttle back to around 2200 and it was fine. Much less steam/smoke that on the way out.

Today I checked the fan belt on the pump and it was a little loose so I tightened that. I'll be getting her hauled next week for a pressure wash, prop grease and zinc replacement, and will check the intake then.

Aside from the intake, belt and crap trap, anything else I should check?

Tom B

Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
1990 C&C 37+/40