Yup. The exhaust elbow would be my first guess, especially if you have not
cleaned it in 700 engine hours. Impeller would be my second guess.

You are looking at the right symptom, insufficient water flow. But you are
looking at the intake side of the water flow. With Yanmars the problem is more
commonly on the exit side.

My friend, who is a diesel engine mechanic that helped me diagnose a similar
problem on a 2GMF13 about a month ago, says he runs a small rod through the
small elbow where water gets injected into the exhaust elbow every 50 hours or
at least once a year on the Yanmar in his J/30. According to him dislodging the
carbon buildup is routine maintenance, and if not done leads to the water
passage being plugged.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC