I too like to use the appropriate nautical term. When we put the standing rigging together for the first time after purchasing the boat, we discovered the top 'aluminum 'through-bolt, 'stud' or 'tie bar' as the rigger from North Sails called it was approx. half worn through by the wire from the main halyard.

This yacht shop in the below website advertises what we are talking about as a 'TIE BAR' and "threaded at 12mm at both ends"....pic is not of a 'tie bar' obviously.

http://www.marinemegastore.com/product-TIE-BAR-UNI_533100.htm

And yes, we have the compression tube inside the mast .....we used the original one with a new SS piece of metal, whatever it is called, to hold the tangs together.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S

On 2015-05-14 3:01 PM, Russ & Melody via CnC-List wrote:

A little term bitchin' here.

The threaded thingy that goes inside the mast to hold the tangs tight is a called through-bolt (even though in most cases it is a stud) not a tie-bar. And it goes inside a compression tube so it can be properly tightened without deflecting the mast sides towards each other. The compression tube was especially important in wooden masts to prevent movement and elongation of holes.

I may be pissin in the wind here and I concede most people use the term salon instead of saloon, but I endeavour to preserve to use of as many other old terms as I can.

Cheers, Russ
/Sweet /35 mk-1
Vancouver Island