From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of David
Lenehan via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:13 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: David Lenehan
Subject: Re: Stus-List Stupid Club

This is such an interesting thread that I thought I'd expose myself to some
laughter too.  As a matter of added interest, I joined the Stupid Club on the
day after I joined the Hypocrit's Club.

Years ago I had a lovely long line that I decided I'd use as a genoa sheet.  It
was a beautiful length of brand new polyester braid back when polyester rope
was still something of a novelty.  I sat back and admired my work noting that
the sheet was a bit longer than it needed to be.

"Not to worry," I told myself smugly, "I'll sort that out later."
The next morning we were motoring out for our race.  I was a first year skipper
in my first keel boat.  We were far ahead in the standings and only had to
finish this race to take home the silverware.  I was dreaming of the glory
instead of watching what everyone was doing.  I instructed the crew to set up
as we usually did and one of the inexperienced crew dropped the end of the
genoa sheet over the side and didn't recover it immediately.
Yes, you guessed it!  It wrapped itself around the prop and the shaft shaft and
we started taking on water.  Large volumes of it.  Didn't start the race,
didn't take the trophy home and nearly didn't get the boat home either.  The
list of damage it caused is too long to tell but it cost a fortune and did some
serious ego bashing.  A host of lessons learned.
Red faced for months,
David

On 20 May 2015 at 14:47, Knowles Rich via CnC-List
I used my 7 litre Pela vacuum extractor to empty the sump on my 3QM30 one fall
and then kicked it over on the way up the companionway. Had to yank the sole
and swab out the engine compartment. About three hours as I recall. Nice!

Rich

On May 19, 2015, at 19:08, Chuck S via CnC-List

I left the oil cap off once.  Ran the boat hard for 6 hours before I noticed.
Also had the mess.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R