Well that settles that, the thruhulls in the bow are not cored (under the
v-berth and behind the water tank) . Solid fiberglass it looks like.

Pic: (uploaded since attachments don't get through to the list):
http://svviolethour.com/?attachment_id=247

Note the innermost layer is the plywood backing plate, next comes some
white caulking that it was glued on with, then the hull. This pic is from
before I finished cleaning all the white glue off the fiberglass. Not sure
if the turquoise blue outer layer is the original gelcoat color, or a
barrier coat.

I was surprised, but this saves some work. The old transducer was a bear to
get out (had to cut it out).