Funny - Joe Posted the following on Sailnet -

"I do know of a sailboat that was A4 powered that burned and sank a couple of
years ago. It was a sistership to my own and I suspect they had the issue I
had. A 90 degree rubber elbow C&C used was not fuel rated, but tolerated
gasoline. Ethanol, not so much  I found the leak in mine and replaced it and
discovered my entire fill hose was coming apart from the inside!
                                                                Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

The following is from a forensic engineering firm -

BOAT            EXPLOSIONS

Boating is an enjoyable pass time for many Canadians. Unfortunately, the
        dangers associated with this activity are often misunderstood or
ignored.

Marine craft present a particular hazard to fire and explosions.
According to US Coast Guard statistics, fires and explosions account for the
        largest single cause of marine property damage. The hazards exist owing
to the          presence of flammable liquids present within confined, poorly
ventilated                spaces. Gasoline fuel, which is used to propel the
majority of private marine           craft presents the most common hazard.
Gasoline can be released into boat               compartments as a result of
equipment failure, spills and improper storage of           fuel supply.

Gasoline has a lower explosive limit (LEL) of 1.4% by volume and an
upper explosive limit (UEL) of 7.6%. The percentages within the LEL and UEL
        represent flammable gasoline/air mixtures. Therefore, a flammable
gasoline/air          mixture can exist when 100 ml (approx. 200 drops) of
gasoline liquid is         vaporized in 1 cubic metre (approx. 35 cubic feet)
of confined air space.               Furthermore, gasoline vapour is heavier
than air and tends to collect in lower          compartments of the boat.
Therefore, a small leak or spill can present a                significant
hazard of explosion and fire.

Diesel fuel presents a reduced explosion hazard owing to its higher
flash point which prevents it from readily evaporating to produce a flammable
        mixture. The LEL for No. 1 grade diesel fuel is 3.5% by volume and the
UEL is           6.9%. The LEL is higher and the range is smaller, further
reducing the hazard.          However, higher temperatures will cause diesel
fuel to evaporate more readily           resulting in explosive mixtures being
present within confined air spaces on             marine craft. Temperatures
within cabins and engine compartments may be         significantly raised by
the hot summer sun, increasing this hazard.

In addition to engine fuels, galley stoves, which operate with fuels
such as alcohol, kerosene, and propane present significant fire and explosion
        hazards from improper operation, improper installation, fuel leaks and
spills.          Propane (LEL = 2.5%, UEL = 4.5%) presents the greatest
explosion hazard.

Jerry C&C 27V J&J