David,

My old Universal M-35 was the same way - could not start if I pressed the
starter while still holding the glow plug. I'd have to let go of the glow plug
and then press start.

I hooked up a multimeter and found that the glow plugs use up a lot of juice.
At the ignition stage, I read 12.6 volts. When I pressed the glow plug for 20
seconds, it would drop to 11.5. At 11.5, the start button would not work. As
soon as I let go of the glow plug button, voltage clocked up to 12.6 again and
the starter button would crank.

All the best,

Edd

-------------------------------