I have wondered from a PHRF handicapping perspective if a number needs to
be factored in that covers
the "ease" at which a boat can exceed hull speed.

Yes, it should!!!  Planing boats get a huge break when the wind blows!

Joel

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Michael Brown via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Not including surfing or being pushed by waves I rarely get over
> calculated hull speed on my 30-1.
> Sometimes do it reaching on flat water with the 195% spinnaker. In one
> case I did get to about 7 kts,
> which leaves an impressive ditch directly behind the boat. At the same
> time a Viking 22 slowly passed
> me. Afterwards the skipper claimed he was doing about 7.2, occasionally
> 7.4.
>
> I have wondered from a PHRF handicapping perspective if a number needs to
> be factored in that covers
> the "ease" at which a boat can exceed hull speed.
>
> The sustained highest speeds I get to are with a deeply cut 90% jib around
> 22 kts true. It sheets in front
> of the spreaders and inside the shrouds. As long as I am not pounding into
> waves I can do 6.5.
>
> Michael Brown
> Windburn
> C&C 30-1
>
> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:31:42 -0400
> From: "Gary Nylander" <gnylan...@atlanticbb.net>
> To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List C&C 26 Sail Plan Thoughts!
>
> Don't forget that when a boat heels, the waterline may grow, but I still
> doubt the figures quoted. I have never seen that on my (sometimes well
> sailed) 30!
>
> Gary

Joel
301 541 8551