Theoretical hull speed is not a limit, it is a "sweet-spot". You can go faster, but it takes exponentially more effort to do so. An example of this is that when motoring in calm water, you reach hull speed with the motor running at 1/4 throttle. To gain maybe .5 - 1 more knot of speed, you must increase the engine to full throttle.

Also be aware of the difference between SOG and STW.

Bill Bina

On 8/25/2015 12:39 PM, Joel Aronson via CnC-List wrote:
Nat Herreshoff spoke at my YC when I was a kid. He said he did not believe in hull speed as a limit. More sail or more wind equals more speed. I was doing more than hull speed (7.3) while cruising on a reach last weekend and have done over 8 knots in flat water with the chute.

Joel
35/3
Annapolis

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Sam Salter via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    ‎It's theoretical - in real life you can push it a bit!

    sam :-)
    *From: *Indigo via CnC-List
    *Sent: *Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:24 AM
    *To: *cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
    *Reply To: *cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
    *Cc: *Indigo
    *Subject: *Re: Stus-List C&C 26 Sail Plan Thoughts!

    According to the formula 1.34 x square root of lwl the theoretical
    max speed of my 35mkIII with an lwl of 28ft is 7.06 knots.  I'd
    love to know how to get it going at higher speeds without surfing
    down the back of a wave!!

    --
    Jonathan
    Indigo C&C 35III

    On Aug 25, 2015, at 08:55, Jerome Tauber via CnC-List