From: "David Pulaski via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: "David Pulaski" <davepula...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:47:46 AM
Subject: Stus-List Hydrolocked!

Thanks all for the words of advice! I'm going to be a wreck until Sunday when I
can get there to try to resolve this situation.

So here's how I managed to do this:

I was attempting to winterize the engine, boat still in the water. First I just
ran the engine normally for a while, maybe 30-45 minutes, while I got
everything ready. After I shut it down and closed the raw water intake seacock,
here was my winterizing plan: 5 gallon bucket sitting on the cockpit sole,
filled with pink antifreeze. A length of hose running through the opening port
in the aft cabin from the cockpit to the engine compartment, connected to the
raw water side of the water strainer. Seemed simple enough: I could start the
engine and watch the level in the bucket, adding more if necessary.

My big mistake was attempting to prime the hose with antifreeze. I was just
using a small cup to pour some antifreeze into the hose from the end up in the
cockpit; no pressure. It didn't occur to me that the small height differential
would be enough to push water past the raw water pump into the cylinders, but
apparently it did. I didn't realize what had happened until I attempted to
start the engine, and it wouldn't turn over. At first I thought the batteries
didn't have enough juice to restart after my cold startup a few moments
earlier. I stabbed the button a couple of times, and then it dawned on me.

I went back down below and disconnected the exhaust hose from the manifold
riser, and sure enough, pink poured out. Perhaps I'm having a stupid moment but
I'm really still scratching my head over this. I really didn't pour much down
the hose, just a couple of cups. But I'm actually somewhat hopeful that the
contents of the cylinders is mostly antifreeze - should give some corrosion
protection I'm hoping.

Until sunday...

-Dave