From: "David Paine via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: "David Paine" <paineda...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:50:37 PM
Subject: Stus-List Bermuda1-2 lessons learned

Hi All,

As I mentioned last spring as part of a question about life rafts, I had
planned to sail my C&C33-1 solo to Bermuda and back (double handed) in the
Bermuda1-2 race. I did, It was fun, it was terrifying, it was expensive to
prepare for, and it was frustrating as I did not do well (dfl) in my class in
part because of the high winds and seas near the gulf stream probably favored
the HR49 and other heavyweights in my class but mostly because I was climbing a
steep learning curve. Of course, a C&C35-1 won the return and did well on the
way there so (in my case) it's the sailor not the boat. In preparation for the
next one, I need to resolve a few issues with the boat and a lot with the
skipper. I was putting together a list that I thought I would share.

(1) The autopilot has to be more than bullet proof. I thought my below deck
pilot was, but I was wrong, and as a result I found myself upside down in the
cockpit locker and crawling deep underneath the cockpit floor in horrible
conditions to tighten bolts that allowed the tiller arm to slip (no woodruff
key or slot to put it in). I lost a lot of time bobbing around with the sails
down repairing the autopilot or sleeping. The fix for this one is obvious but
will require dismantling the quadrant and figuring out how to bolt the tiller
arm to it. Other issues with the autopilot were completely my own fault as I
made changes to the electronics but did not have time to proof test the
changes.

(2) When a wave fills the cockpit and it gets flooded (and it did repeatedly)
the engine instruments are going to get wet. This is not good as the switches
will (and did) fail, I am considering relocation or creating a waterproof
cover.

(3) Following seas WILL drive water up the tailpipe and into the engine. As a
result, I sailed into St Georges harbor and up to the customs dock then I spent
a day in Bermuda sucking water out of the engine and drying it out enough to
get it started. For the return trip, I put a plug in the exhaust pipe but the
plug was washed out in the "washing machine like conditions" and ... we got to
sail the boat into the Newport Yacht Club dock at 3:00 am on no sleep. Then
spend another day pumping oily water out of the engine. Yeah, slow learner.

(4) The fuel tank vent on my boat is high up on the starboard side but by the
time I got to Bermuda, the tank had a quart of water in it (which I siphoned
out). Good filters (a racor) helped but I need to relocate the vent -- the
question is where? It may not be wise but on the return trip I wrapped the vent
with tape (which, if I had run the engine I would have removed) A better
solution is needed.

(5) Reefing has to be quick and easy -- I spent far too much time screwing up
enough courage to go to the mast to reef and shake-out. My current reefing
system (probably original to the boat) has a winch on the boom which makes the
first reef fine but I used all three reef points and releasing the last reef
before pulling in the next in 35-40 kn of breeze is a nightmare. I need to work
on leading the lines to the cockpit.

(6) A removable inner forestay and a blade foresail might be nice. My new
furling 130 spent a lot of time furled 50% and that really has screwed up the
shape of my formerly new and now blown out 130.

(7) The boat was reasonably dry inside (a result of hours of rebedding
hardware) but somehow the mast collar leaked like a sieve. The boot looks
perfect so it has to be the where the Al collar (mast partners) meets the deck
-- who would have thought that the one place I didn't rebed would be a problem!

(8) Hoisting a radar reflect on a flag halyard to the spreaders seems like a
good idea until the line breaks and you lose both.

(9) The one turnbuckle that I did not wire was the port diamond stay. Turns out
the mast will stay up without this - whew! It is extremely unnerving to see a
piece of wire swinging around at night in a blow. Wire everything. And use lock
tight on critical bolts -- my solar panel broke loose as a result of a bolt
getting unscrewed.

(10) Fighting with a 10 foot long spinnaker pole to fly the spin gets really
old. Luckily the wind only died down enough to fly the spinnaker at the end of
the race but if the conditions had been more benign, I would have had to fly
the spinnaker much more. An assymetrical with a short prod would be nice (but
probably outside my ability to rationalize the spending).

(11) Getting a decent weather (GRIB) file occasionally would have been really
helpful. I suppose I need to figure out how to do a SSB or Sat phone modem.

Tons more lessons learned but that's enough for now.

Best,

David