From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of David Paine
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:31 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: David Paine
Subject: Re: Stus-List Bermuda1-2 lessons learned

Thanks David!

On the topic of Solent stays, I think I have two options.  (1) A true removable
Solent supported  at the top of the mast by the backstay and at the deck near
the bow fitting  or (2) possibly, a staysail stay supported at the spreaders
(one set) by the aft lowers and at the midforedeck via the track that is there
(not sure why) with a supporting below-deck cable (in line with the stay of
course)  to a bulkhead.  Not having to crawl to the bow in a blow,  COE moved
further back, and possibly better sheeting angles are potential benefits.  The
Solent seems like a much easier option with more varied (larger) sails
possible.   I'll have to ponder this a bit!

On the topic of internal venting -- I am embarrassed (and proud) to admit that
I still have an Atomic 4 gas engine so internal venting is not a great option
for me.

On GRIBS, I had a sat phone on this trip and probably should have figured out
how to use it to download gribs but was too busy before departure to figure
that out.   I will next time.  Thanks.

On reefing -- yes, a cam cleat or three clutches would help a lot.  Managing
all the loose reefing lines at the boom, particularly after the third reef, is
also a bother when the boat is pitching and the wind is howling.   I was glad
to have a line bag at the boom but all that line can be hazardous!

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM, David via CnC-List
David,

I have done numerous Bermuda races aboard Corsair.   Some suggestions;
(2) When a wave fills the cockpit and it gets flooded (and it did repeatedly)
the engine instruments are going to get wet.  This is not good as the switches
will (and did) fail, I am considering relocation or creating a waterproof cover.

Same problem.  Covered it  with the plastic used on cars to protect the paint
on the nose.  Conforms to the panel pretty well.  Not perfect but keeps the
most of the water out of the electrics.  Can still hear alarm too.

(4)  The fuel tank vent on my boat is high up on the starboard side but by the
time I got to Bermuda, the tank had a quart of water in it (which I siphoned
out).  Good filters (a racor) helped but I need to relocate the vent -- the
question is where?  It may not be wise but on the return trip I wrapped the
vent with tape (which, if I had run the engine I would have removed)   A better
solution is needed.

I vent water tanks internally when going offshore.   After fueling perhaps vent
it internally as high under decks as possible with a valve to close when engine
off to avoid extreme weather spillage.

(5)  Reefing has to be quick and easy -- I spent far too much time screwing up
enough courage to go to the mast to reef and shake-out.  My current reefing
system (probably original to the boat) has a winch on the boom which makes the
first reef fine but I used all three reef points and releasing the last reef
before pulling in the next in 35-40 kn of breeze is a nightmare.   I need to
work on leading the lines to the cockpit.

A cam cleat just forward of winch to relieve the reef line under load may help.

(6) A removable inner forestay and a blade foresail might be nice.  My new
furling 130 spent a lot of time furled 50% and that really has screwed up the
shape of my formerly new and now blown out 130.

I installed a solent stay for storm jib and the #4.    Best thing I ever did.
Contact me off-line if you need details

(11) Getting a decent weather (GRIB) file occasionally would have been really
helpful.   I suppose I need to figure out how to do a SSB or Sat phone modem.

I rent a SatPhone from satelitephonestore.com<http://satelitephonestore.com>
who explained how to download the small Grib files from Passage Weather to a
laptop.  Easy and effective.

Hope that helps.
David F. Risch
1981 40-2
(401) 419-4650<tel:%28401%29%20419-4650> (cell)